Notes from 12/17/14 Brown Bag discussion of the document
- What about use of a Creative Commons license?
- Wendy: More for text-based resources. Doesn’t have the necessary disclaimers.
- Notion of authorship/getting credit. Should this be in the license? Or keep attribution separate from the license?
- License should stipulate that user must acknowledge the author as well as the provider >> Action item for updating the model agreement
- Security concerns about use of OSS?
- Use of OSS to stimulate community engagement? How?
- Important for program staff to think carefully up front about the goals for software distribution when writing the contract.
- Postdocs are not gov’t employees. What sort of agreement should they use? ERTA, T-42, Visiting Fellow (trainees)
- Need to look at these agreements and determine what is required/allowable. Consider an FAQ specific to postdocs.
- 18F – gov’t organization dealing with these issues. Consider engaging with them on this topic.
- Need to tighten collaboration with the tech transfer office
Next step goal: NIH bioinformatics interest group